Just like everyday life, full of change and evolution, as is our skin. We have good skin days, and bad skin days. Some days we wake up with clear skin and other days breakouts/spots. Some of these spots are melasma.
Melasma affects 1 in 9 women and 1 in 39 men based on recent studies, both of which are high-chance numbers.
What is melasma?
Melasma is a very common chronic skin condition, and you are not alone in this. Mostly seen in women aged 20-50 years, it’s a blotchy, brownish pigmentation and usually appears on the t-zone, upper lip and other parts of the body which have been exposed to the sun. Melasma is also extremely common during pregnancy and those who are post-menopausal and can fluctuate.
What causes melasma?
Melasma is the overproduction of melanin (the colour pigment of your skin). Those who have naturally brown skin and those who easily tan are more prone to melasma as they have more active melanocytes (pigment cells of your skin).
Melasma can be triggered by the following factors:
- Hormonal Changes
- Pregnancy, thyroid, stress, hormone replacement therapy, and oral contraceptives are known to trigger melasma.
- Sun Exposure
- UV light and active sun exposure can stimulate melanocytes which increases pigmentation in the skin. You may notice your melasma & pigmentation gets worse during the summer or when on vacation.
- Genetics play a part in being predisposed to getting melasma and unfortunately this is not something we can change
- Skincare/Makeup Products
- Some skincare and makeup products can cause irritation to the skin- this in turn can increase melanin production & accelerate melasma symptoms
How do you treat melasma?
There is no cure for melasma, but it can be managed through proper skincare and correct maintenance treatments.
- Laser Therapy
- Melasma can be treated with our Signature & Fractional laser facials. Our Signature Laser Facial helps to improve pigmentation and our Fractional Laser improves the appearance of skin texture and minimizes hyperpigmentation. Treatments need to be consistent to witness improvement and it may take up to several months for the pigmentation to fade and improve.
- Sun protection
- To avoid recurrence, it is important to limit your exposure to the sun as this is the main culprit behind melasma!
- Always wear sunscreen/spf every day with a minimum of SPF 30! We cannot stress this enough! The importance of wearing sunscreen every day and re-applying every 2 hours is vital. Our mineral defense SPF delivers broad spectrum protection against damaging UV rays. It helps guard skin against sun damage, early signs of aging, and the breakdown of collagen to help maintain a healthy skin barrier.
Below are some before/after of clients who have drastically improved their melasma and pigmentation.
What is pigmentation?
We all at some point in our lives noticed discoloration and darkening, this is what’s commonly known as pigmentation. Also known as hyper-pigmentation, it occurs due to an increase in pigment-producing cells in the skin and the substance they produce (melanin).
In a nutshell, pigmentation means coloring. If your body produces too much melanin, your skin gets darker.
How does it look?
Uneven dark patches & brown spots on the skin. It can flare up post acne, eczema, or injury also, this is known as post-inflammatory pigmentation. Pigmentation doesn’t necessarily affect the whole face or body, it can affect just patches of skin.
Can you prevent pigmentation from forming?
The short answer is NO. Pigmentation cannot be prevented as it can be caused by factors such as not wearing sunscreen, pregnancy, hormonal changes, injury, and inflammation.
However, the most effective way to prevent pigmentation from occurring, or to stop it from getting worse is to wear sunscreen daily! No, we do not mean tinted moisturizers or foundations that contain sunscreen, we mean sunscreen alone with a minimum +SPF30, 365 days a year, 7 days a week, especially during peak UV radiation hours (12-3pm) and to reapply every 2 hours.
Wearing a hat also helps if you are planning on being outdoors and cannot avoid the sun- protection is key!
What’s the best way to treat pigmentation?
There are a number of steps you can take to treat pigmentation:
- If pigmentation appears after sun-worshipping, starting a new medication or during pregnancy/ hormonal changes then you’ve found the culprits!
- Sunscreen isn’t just for hot countries, it’s for all. UV rays are prevalent everywhere. Dubai has 9-10 months of sun a year and it’s impossible to avoid it. It only takes a few minutes of sun exposure without adequate protection to cause pigmentation. Be strict with your sunscreen, use every day without fail and try to re-apply every 2 hours where possible.
- Invest in skincare products
- Use products that contain ingredients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, AHA’s, Glycolic Acid to nourish your skin and protect it’s barrier. Our brightening serum is formulated with 2.1% glycolic acid to help fade dark spots, improve skin texture, and even skin tone. Your skin will look brighter and tighter with this powerful combination of Vitamin C, amino acids, and spirula plant extract that work together to help protect, repair, and resurface the skin, without irritation. The best ingredients to treat melasma and hyperpigmentation include those that help protect skin from environmental stressors and inhibit irregular melanin production (Vitamin C), break up discoloration (Glycolic acid), brighten the skin (Alpha-Arbutin), and sooth & prevent worsening (Niacinamide/Vitamin B3, and Panthenol/Vitamin B5).
- Book yourself a Skin Laundry laser facial
- Our laser facial reaches the dermal layer of the skin, breaking up the discoloration that resides deep within the skin. The Signature Laser Facial is truly unique as many other devices can make the pigmentation/discoloration worse. This treatment not only improves pigmentation but also helps decrease recurrence whilst boosting collagen.
HOW TO BOOK
Before booking an appointment, please check our list of contraindications to ensure you qualify for a laser facial.
Simply Whatsapp us on:
DIFC:+971 52 199 0021
Marina:+971 52 3546785
Skin Laundry is here to help!
Schedule a consultation and signature facial with us where you will meet your dedicated laser technician who will review your skin concerns in details, medical history & skincare goals you are hoping to achieve. By the end of your consultation you will know and understand your skin type better, alongside a personalized treatment plan with our in-house skin product recommendations.
For beginners we recommend our Signature Laser Facial which uses safe energy-based technology to boost collagen production, minimize pores, tighten skin and improve discoloration. This treatment is completely safe on all skin tones and types and will leave your skin glowing and deeply cleansed!