Feeling flushed? We’re not talking about feeling hot and bothered flush either! If you suffer from blushing and flushing red skin, this is most likely rosacea (roe-ZAY-she-uh), a common skin condition that can affect anyone and typically affects the t-zone area (forehead, nose, and cheeks).
Rosacea affects more than 40 million people worldwide and is more common in people aged between 30-50 years old. It is a chronic skin disease, with no cure and the cause of rosacea is still unknown.
The trademark of red skin caused during flare-ups can occur in cycles and come in waves, symptoms can go away but then actively return.
How many types of Rosacea are there?
There are 4 different types of Rosacea, and each have their own symptoms and reactions to the skin:
- Subtype 1: Associated with facial redness, flushing and visible blood vessels. Known as the milder version of rosacea: ETR (Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea).
- Subtype 2: Associated with breakouts similar to acne and often affects middle-aged women. Known as Papulopustular Rosacea.
- Subtype 3: Associated with the thickening of the skin, prominently on the nose and affects mainly men. Known as Rhinophyma Rosacea.
- Subtype 4: Associated with affecting the eye area. Known as Ocular Rosacea.
What are the symptoms of Rosacea?
There are many signs and symptoms of rosacea, but the most common include:
- Blushing/Flushing in the central part of the face, can be persistent and more noticeable on lighter skin tones
- Blood vessels and visible veins on the nose & cheeks. These can break and are commonly known as spider veins
- Bumps which look like pimples and resembles acne, these bumps can also contain pus
- On fire is how the skin might feel with the sensation causing the skin to feel hot and sensitive to touch
- Eyes and eyelids can feel irritated, dry, and become swollen, commonly known as ocular rosacea
- Enlarged nose can occur due to thickening of the skin on the nose causing it to appear bulbous, most often found in men than in women
What causes Rosacea and is there a cure?
Unfortunately, the cause and cure of rosacea is yet to be determined. Scientists believe it may be a combination of hereditary and environmental/lifestyle factors. There are some known factors that can make rosacea worse, and these include:
- Drink hot drinks
- Eating spicy foods
- Eating foods that contain cinnamaldehyde, often found in cinnamon, chocolate, tomatoes, and citrus fruits
- Skin mites and the bacteria they carry
- The presence of cathelicidin which is a protein protecting the skin from any types of infection
Coping with rosacea can be difficult as it is a chronic condition that you will need to learn to manage as there is no cure. However, there is hope and steps you can take to control your symptoms:
- Use gentle cleaners and oil-free water based skin-care products such as our Hyaluronic Acid Serum & Gentle Hydrating Cleanser
- Avoid skincare products that contain alcohol, menthol and witch hazel as these may irritate your skin and cause further symptoms. Our skincare products are vegan, non-toxic and cruelty-free!
- Wear sunscreen! We cannot stress this enough, sunscreen acts as a barrier towards the harsh sun and protects your skin against UV damage
- Using lasers and light therapy treatment helps. Our Signature laser facial is safe for all skin types and is gentle on the skin with no downtime. We also offer LED blue and red light therapy in our Hydrafacial treatment
HOW TO BOOK
Before booking an appointment, please check our list of contraindications to ensure you qualify for a laser facial.
Simply Whatsapp us on:
DIFC:+971 52 199 0021
Marina:+971 52 3546785
Skin Laundry is here to help!
Schedule a consultation and signature facial with us where you will meet your dedicated laser technician who will review your skin concerns in details, medical history & skincare goals you are hoping to achieve. By the end of your consultation you will know and understand your skin type better, alongside a personalized treatment plan with our in-house skin product recommendations.
For beginners we recommend our Signature Laser Facial which uses safe energy-based technology to boost collagen production, minimize pores, tighten skin and improve discoloration. This treatment is completely safe on all skin tones and types and will leave your skin glowing and deeply cleansed!