What is collagen?
We all have collagen! Nearly 80% of our skin is collagen and it is the main protein structure of our skin. There are over 28 different types, and it can be found in our hair, skin, bones and muscle. Collagen is vital in helping maintain skin elasticity and strength, it relies on Vitamin C- without this our bodies cannot form or store collagen.
What does collagen do?
Collagen plays a number of roles, including keeping our skin looking young:
- Maintains skin elasticity
- Replaces & restores dead skin cells
- Helps new cells to grow
- Strengthens bones, joints & tendons
- Protects organs
What are the reasons for loss of collagen?
There are many key components that result in the loss of collagen, as well as lifestyle choices that interfere with the collagen’s ability to repair itself:
- Diet & Lifestyle - studies show that smoking, excess sugar, and refined carbohydrates all link to lower collagen production. Smoking decreases blood flow & oxygen to the skin
Hormones - when hormones alter in females (especially during pregnancy), the skin generates more elasticity to adjust to the increased strain during these months
- Environmental Factors - sun exposure (without the use of SPF) and pollution play a big role in breaking down collagen
- Age - something we can’t fight! As you age, collagen production decreases, skin will appear thinner, you will notice drooping and sagging
- Skincare Routine - if you don’t care for your skin…it shows. You’re never too young to start a good skincare routine. Adopt peptides, sunscreen and retinol into your daily routine and be consistent
How to boost collagen
To build collagen, our body makes procollagen. There are many ways in which you can restore collagen.
- eat foods that are rich in protein and vitamin C to help restore collagen. Too much sugar can cause insulin levels to rise and leads to the breakdown of valuable collagen and elastin. Such foods to aid collagen production includes:
Proline: egg whites, wheat, dairy, mushrooms, green vegetables
Glycine: chicken, gelatin & bone broth
Vitamin C: citrus, bell peppers, berries
- by keeping your skin hydrated through drinking water your skin will maintain moisture levels, leaving it looking brighter and more even. Hydration can also be done with Hyaluronic Acid. Our Hydration Boost is great for the skin as it contains a trip of 2 powerhouse ingredients to instantly nourish and plump the skin in this intense hydration boost. Skin-protecting antioxidants, a wrinkle softening peptide, and hyaluronic acid (HA) penetrate deeply for a lasting reservoir of moisture and long-term radiance, whereas, most Hyaluronic Acid moisturizers can be very heavy and greasy, this weightless innovative formula can be applied as a mist, penetrates deeply with no residue, and is suitable for all skin types.
- without vitamin C, the body cannot restore collagen. Vitamin C creams are beneficial to the production of collagen and consuming supplements is another method to boost your overall collagen. Aim for supplements that target hair, nails, bone, and skin- these can be in the form of liquid or tablet form and are an easy way to fit into your lifestyle and routine.
- when applying skincare products, massage the skin. This helps blood to circulate around the skin and can help stimulate collagen production and strengthen muscle memory. Stimulate blood flow to help keep a youthful appearance.
- keep active and limit the intake of alcohol and smoking. Smoking inhibits the production of collagen and causes skin ageing.
Our Signature & Fractional laser facials are safe for all skin types and during pregnancy, with immediate results and works at:
+ Deep cleansing, removing oil, dirt & bacteria
+ Improving pigmentation
+ Boosting collagen
The best part- it’s FREE for all new clients who have a valid Emirates ID. Don’t have an Emirates ID, no need to worry, we offer 50% off for those without an Emirates ID!
Our Hydrafacial is a great facial to pamper your skin and gives you instant radiance with no downtime!
+ Extracts, Purifies & Improves skin tone
+ Lymphatic drainage, LED Blue & Red Light
+ Nourishes the skin with antioxidants and peptides
HOW TO BOOK
Before booking an appointment, please check our list of contraindications to ensure you qualify for a laser facial.
Simply Whatsapp us on:
DIFC:+971 52 199 0021
Marina:+971 52 3546785
Skin Laundry is here to help!
Schedule a consultation and signature facial with us where you will meet your dedicated laser technician who will review your skin concerns in details, medical history & skincare goals you are hoping to achieve. By the end of your consultation you will know and understand your skin type better, alongside a personalized treatment plan with our in-house skin product recommendations.
For beginners we recommend our Signature Laser Facial which uses safe energy-based technology to boost collagen production, minimize pores, tighten skin and improve discoloration. This treatment is completely safe on all skin tones and types and will leave your skin glowing and deeply cleansed!