Does your skin emit shine? And we’re not talking about the dewy highlighted look! If so, you have oily skin, but what exactly is oily skin?
The fact is, most people have oil in their skin, it’s known for keeping your skin hydrated and healthy, but some people can produce too much oil. Under our pores is something called the sebaceous glands, these can produce excess oil in some people - thus creating oily skin.
So how do you know if you have oily skin? Below are some factors that point to having oily skin:
- Using blotting sheets throughout the day to reduce the appearance of oil
- Skin feels greasy despite cleansing
- Regular breakouts and acne (this occurs due to the sebum mixing with dead skin cells)
Symptoms of oily skin include:
- Shiny/ Greasy appearance
- Large and obvious pores on the skin
- Skin looks thick and feels rough
- Occasional or persistent pimples
- Clogged pores and blackheads
- Other factors of oily skin can be related to genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors.
Oily skin that is linked to genetics can be difficult to prevent and changes in hormones is also difficult to control. Although it is difficult to completely get rid of oily skin there are steps you can take to reduce the oiliness.
- Find a consistent skin care routine that works
- Avoid oil-based products as this can clog the pores
- Try to not wear make-up everyday and use water-based makeup instead
- Stay hydrated- this is key!
- Avoid greasy foods and try to eat a well-rounded diet
- Consult with a Dermatologist
- Have regular HydraFacial’s to extract build up of dirt, oil & debris
Avoiding certain ingredients which can clog oil skin:
- Cocoa butter
- Coconut oil
- Petroleum jelly
- Alcohol-based products should also be avoided as they tend to irritate the skin.
Schedule a consultation and signature facial with us where you will meet your dedicated laser technician who will review your skin concerns in details, medical history & skincare goals you are hoping to achieve. By the end of your consultation you will know and understand your skin type better, alongside a personalized treatment plan with our in-house skin product recommendations.
For beginners we recommend our Signature Laser Facial which uses safe energy-based technology to boost collagen production, minimized pores, tighter skin and improve discoloration. This treatment is completely safe on all skin tones and types and will leave your skin glowing and deeply cleansed!