Should your skincare change during Ramadan? Taking care of your skin should be a year-round practice, however it is especially important to understand during the month of Ramadan how fasting can affect your skin’s hydration level.
During the holy month of Ramadan, fasting occurs, whilst fasting is common and has numerous health benefits, the prolonged hours of lack of food and water can have various effects on the skin, both positive and negative. Some of the common side effects include:
Dehydration: Fasting can lead to dehydration, which can make the skin dry, dull, and more susceptible to wrinkles and fine lines.
Breakouts: Fasting can cause hormonal imbalances, which can trigger breakouts and acne.
Rosacea: Fasting can trigger rosacea, a skin condition characterized by redness, flushing, and bumps on the face.
Eczema: Fasting can worsen eczema, a skin condition that causes itching, redness, and rashes.
However, fasting can also have positive effects on the skin, such as reducing inflammation, improving blood flow, and promoting cell regeneration.
As Ramadan is fast approaching, now is the best time to add to your skincare routine and prepare your skin for the month-long fasting, as well as the Spring season which sees the rising heat & humidity in Dubai. It’s important to focus on the skincare you are using and to ensure you’re using ingredients that will help heal your skin.
Here are some tips for taking care of your skin during fasting:
- Hydrate: It’s important to hydrate not just on the inside, but outside too! Drink plenty of water once you break your fast, to keep your skin hydrated and maintain its elasticity.
- Use our Hyaluronic Acid serum every morning and evening to replenish elasticity, plumpness. Formulated with Niacinamide, a powerhouse ingredient that softens fine lines, reduces oil production, and hydrates the skin's natural barrier. This serum delivers a long-lasting reservoir of moisture and radiance.
- Sleep Well: Getting enough sleep is crucial for healthy skin. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Lack of sleep can become apparent in how your skin looks, dark circles and puffiness can be more visible so it’s super important to rest!
- Avoid Harsh Products and Keep Skin Moisturized: During fasting, your skin may become more sensitive, so avoid using harsh skincare products that can dry out or irritate your skin.
- Use vitamin-based products such as our Vitamin B5 Moisturizer, a super lightweight antioxidant moisturizer that helps provide long lasting hydration and healthy looking skin. Skin will feel instantly quenched and radiant with powerhouse ingredients: hyaluronic acid, camellia japonica flower extract and sunflower seed oil, for a soft matte finish.
- Have A Facial: One of the best ways to deep clean your skin and to pamper your skin is a facial. Ramadan is during the lead up to summer, where the weather is hot and humid, treatments should be on the gentler side so why not try our Hydrafacial which is loaded with beneficial ingredients and helps to:
+ Extracts, Purifies & Improves skin tone
+ Lymphatic drainage, LED Blue & Red Light
+ Nourishes the skin with anti-oxidants and peptides
Alternatively, our famous Signature Laser Facial is safe for all skin types, no downtime and leaves an immediate glow.
+ Deep cleansing, removes oil, dirt & bacteria
+ Improves pigmentation
+ Boosts collagen
- Eat A Balanced Diet: Eating foods such as nuts which contain large percentages of fibre will play a big role in rejuvenating your skin. Load up on your veggies and fruits, if you feel good from the inside, it will reflect on the outside! A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and essential fatty acids can help maintain healthy skin.
- Sugar Intake: During Ramadan, it’s common to eat all the amazing sweets during Iftar & Suhoor, however sugar is the leading cause of acne and other inflammatory skin conditions. Try to eat natural healthy sugar such as dates and fruit, avoid processed sugars
- Avoid Excessive Sun Exposure: Excessive sun exposure can damage skin and cause premature aging. When outside in the sun, protect your skin from sun-rays & UV damage by wearing a hat and use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. We’ve got your covered for that with our own Skin Laundry Hat & SPF!
- Lifestyle Changes: Be aware of your habits and environment, try to avoid smoking - smoking can accelerate skin aging and cause wrinkles. Eating fried food and processed sugar can also have a lasting effect on your skin. If you’re a coffee lover, it’s time to cut back as caffeine is known to drain the minerals in your body, which in turn has a negative effect on your skin.
Note: Consult a doctor before making any changes to your diet or skincare routine, especially if you have any skin conditions.
Skin Laundry is here to help!
Schedule a consultation and facial with us where you will meet your dedicated laser technician who will review your skin concerns in details, medical history & skincare goals you are hoping to achieve. By the end of your consultation you will know and understand your skin type better, alongside a personalized treatment plan with our in-house skin product recommendations.
Did you know your first Signature Laser Facial (worth 795aed) is FREE for the first time if you have a valid Emirates ID? Don’t miss out on this offer!
HOW TO BOOK
Before booking an appointment, please check our list of contraindications to ensure you qualify for a laser facial.
DIFC:+971 52 199 0021
Marina:+971 52 3546785